Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Be Quiet

This morning as I look out the window of my office (I can see everything from the second story), I can’t help but notice how quiet it is. Not only is there no discernable traffic, construction, or even wind from the other side of the window, the building is even quiet on the inside.

It is 7:40am – and I am alone in this amazing building. I love being here early. There is something so nice about being quiet, in a church, before the crazy world begins to buzz.

If you know me, you know I love people…and talking. My cell phone minutes are usually double or triple that of my wife. I’m not good at sitting still – and I’m not good at being quiet – especially when I know there are people around to talk to.

The balance for me is this time by myself. I enjoy my morning routine of getting my girls off to school– and coming into work around 7:30, before everyone else arrives. I can think – and sit in the middle of my music books, devotionals, and perch above Springfield to just look, be quiet, and think.

There is something about quiet that also brings gratitude. It’s hard to look out of a window and not see something in Creation (if not all of it) and breathe a quiet “thank you” to God. Psalm 46: 10a says, “Be still and know that I am God.” I think we often overuse that passage to talk about patience or perhaps we misinterpret it to mean idleness --- but the instruction to “be still” is still a good one. Reframing it as a question may be helpful. Can I know God if I am not still?

Can I listen if I am not still?

Maybe – but I know it is a lot easier to hear and focus when I still and prepare myself.

I have to admit that I am not always ready to listen. I like things my way. (I’m certain this revelation is shocking to absolutely no one.) In this season, I'm learning to be still and quiet…and grateful. 

There used to be an amazing tree outside of my office window. It was huge, with winding branches, a massive trunk, and picturesque moss hanging nearly to the ground. The tree was so “Savannah” that Katie and I were quite taken with it when we first visited the church. Once I was hired – and Katie saw my office – she described it as a “tree house” since it was nearly in the branches.

Every day I could look through the shade of this tree – and see all sorts of birds and squirrels – as well as the rest of the world framed through distinct bark, moss, and leaves.

The tree was removed a few months ago. Apparently it was dead on the inside (a metaphor for another time). It occurs to me this morning that I never really thanked God for that tree, or the unique view through my window. Perhaps I should have been still…

The thing I am aware of this morning – is that God is listening. My solitude and pause gives both of us a time to listen to one another – and just be.


Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know that He is faithful
Consider all that he has done
Stand in awe and be amazed
And know that He will never change
Be still
-          Steven Curtis Chapman


I wonder what is outside your window this morning. Write to me in the comment box below – and let me know about your picture into God’s world.
-Tommy

Be Still Music Video

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I haven't been still since I got out of bed this morning. Ashamed of myself! But, oh, on the days that I am, how great it is! I love sitting in my rocking chair in the living room early in the morning, as the sun's rays start peaking in and be still. In those times, I'm really thankful for my life, not just the materail blessings in them, but the blessings of God that have made me me. Things like being a wife, a mother, a daughter, a Christian, a friend, a human with breath, living here and now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking out my window at another building. It's not as cool as a tree in Savannah but it can remind me of the work of God if I remember that all is His, even our jobs and buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be ye still" has a special place in my memory and heart. The day John and I were married at Jesup Presbyterian Church, that song was played on a flute to accompany our choir. When the church service was over, we asked everyone to remain for our wedding (yep! We followed the church service with a tiny wedding service!) My friend played the flute again for us during the wedding - that same wonderful song!

    It is hard to be still and listen for the word of God, because we stay so busy - but the benefits of just waiting and watching God's world make it entirely worthwhile!

    Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! stillness...How I love it! I love being in our church in the quiet, too, Tommy! Sometimes, when no one is there, I'll slip in and just lay in the sanctuary near the altar. (I know. weird.) I love the stillness and the holiness of that place. The prayers, teachings, music, tears, baptisms, weddings, missionary send-offs, etc. that have happened there! It makes me smile and gives me hope, encouragement, peace. Thanks for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be able to be still....I think it was back in the 1960's lol. I can remember climbing trees and sitting for hours and thinking about things, sitting in my yard flying a kite after school and thinking about things, making a tent with a bedspread over an old card table and sitting under it thinking about things. I can't remember all those thoughts, but I do know that even that young I had a relationship with God. I know it because I can remember praying for his help when I was 9 years old.....I had lost my grandmother's birthstone ring. I had no doubt he would answer. He did. I found it, quite far from my house, in the grass of a creek bank. No way could that have happened without him guiding me back to it. Sometimes now, I wish that I could be still, listen, and know and believe with the heart and innocence of that childhood. Thanks for that memory. I will try harder to be still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the mornings after Justin has left for work and the kids are still in the bed, I have a few moments to myself where I can "Be Still" before the mad rush begins. I overlook my backyard with all the trees, seeing the birds and squirels play. It reminds me that I dont need to worry of the things of today, because I know that God is taking care of me just as he takes care of the birds. "His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches over me" Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete