Monday, October 25, 2010

Little Church....Big Heart

Yesterday, as with every Sunday, I had the opportunity to be part of two worship services.  And, as always, both were very different.  I led a blended style service at my church (Springfield UMC) and then I was invited to participate at the 225th Anniversary of Turkey Branch UMC (a church that years ago was part of a charge with Springfield UMC).  Both services were awesome.  Both were very different.
While I love Springfield UMC, being at Turkey Branch UMC made me miss the community and fellowship of a small church.  There is something to be said for a smaller church, a church where everyone helps out. It is hard to be pretentious when there are regularly 25 in the congregation. The goal, when your church is tucked away and comprised of a few families, is less about mimicking the movement of big churches – or riding the trends of popular Christianity – and more about nurture, depth of spiritual maturity, and honesty in worship. At Turkey Branch, there doesn’t seem to be anyone on “show” – or who is trying to use words that will impress – instead of edify, insult or belittle – instead of encourage.
Turkey Branch is full of people who are simply showing up, serving God, and worshipping simply week after week.
I have to admit that sometimes I like to be on show.  I love to play the piano and then have people clap or tell me how much they loved it.  It is a boost.  But is it the right boost?  Is it the kind of boost that I really need?
I’ll answer the question for you. No.
Applause and compliments are empty – if they do anything more than affirm our God-giftedness and rightness in calling. I have a longing to be “right” and “talented” and “important” in my work – and all of those desperate hopes point to my flesh.
Affirmation is important. We need to affirm one another in our work. God is pleased when we use our talents, positions, words, and opportunities to glorify him. We should see that in one another and speak to it. But the goal of our work should be to please God.
Conceit and position is a plague in the church. There will never be true revival until the blowhards in the church get out of the way.
I can be a blowhard. You probably can too. We need to get out of one another’s way – and mostly we need to stop hindering the work God is doing. We need to stop attracting people to us – but rather attract people to Christ.
Quit church? No.
Recommit ourselves to serving – and doing church simply – whether we are big or small, urban or suburban – or even in the middle of the words in rural South Georgia.
Let’s attract people because of our authenticity.
Turkey Branch has it right in many ways.  They are not showing off.  They are committed to serving God, their church, and others.  They are committed even with 15 or 20 people each week because they get it.  They get that it doesn't take programs or the best music or flashy new gimmicks - it takes heart...a big heart.  A heart with service. A heart with compassion.  A heart for Christ. 
I want to get it.  I want to be in a simple place (spiritually) where I am not consumed with how many folks I can impress today.  It's hard.  We measure our church success with how many attended today.  How many people are coming to programs and how can we fill our church before the others fill theirs.  How many big words can we say? How many big gimmicks can we use to lure people in? What is my title and do other people recognize my importance?
Our mission is to attract people to Christ – and that means that our churches should be growing. As Bishop King said today in his sermon at Turkey Branch’s celebration, “We need to keep moving.”
As we move – we just need to check the reflection of our movement and make sure it isn’t only ourselves we are seeing in the picture.
Congratulations to the people of Turkey Branch for 225 years of ministry. Who knows how many lives have been changed because of your ministry? Thanks for including me in the celebration. I am humbled – and look forward to seeing all that you accomplish for Christ in the next 225 years…
Personal Challenge:
Accept affirmation – and genuinely work to be an authentic Christian leader.



3 comments:

  1. "As we move – we just need to check the reflection of our movement and make sure it isn’t only ourselves we are seeing in the picture."

    This is a great line. It made me think about myself. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Tommy - I feel like I have just been learning this lesson about humility myself. Thank you again for sharing! I can't wait to continue to read more!

    ReplyDelete