Thursday, January 21, 2016

Fat Elvis Is Leaving The Buidling

That's right, Elvis is leaving the building.  Ok, now that I have your attention, I will let you in.  I am losing weight- I mean, I am trying too. My cousin, Adam, is helping me.  In the course of the last year Adam has really lost some weight and I was so impressed, I was encouraged to do the same.
I have followed his plan (well, last night we had meatloaf at church, so I had to have that!), but otherwise, I have followed his plan.  I have also been walking about 40 minutes a day.  I would say that all in all I am doing a fantastic job.  Did I mention this is only day 3! 

If you are old enough to remember Elvis, you remember that when he was young he was trim, fit, good looking, and a wonderful singer.  You also remember that at the end of his concerts they would announce that "Elvis has left the building".  Well, I am trying to leave the building - my weight and my "old" self.  If you have tried to lose weight you know that it comes on faster than goes off. But, such as life.

2 Corinthians 5: 17 -Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

Aren't we like this?  Aren't we trying to become new?  I am.  I am still trying. I don't mean just with my weight but in my entire life.  But, can you really become new if you don't shed the old?  I will not have new skin or a new mind by losing weight.  But, I will think differently about food, exercise, and about myself.
I am thankful each day starts new.  I can wake and decide to be different.  I can decide to be happy.  I can decide to make a difference in my life and to others (I wrote decide several times because that's what we have to do - DECIDE). 
See, I believe our newness doesn't come from just believing, but from deciding to make changes. 

One of my favorite stories is about the lame man at the pool of Bethesda (John 5).  By the time Jesus arrives on the scene the lame man had been in his condition for a long time.  Now, we don't know what is a long time.  We just know that this is nothing new for this lame man.  Jesus asks him, "Do you not want to be made well"?  The man answers; "sir, I have no one to help me to the pool and when I get there, many go before me".   This is interesting to me.  I often wonder if he wanted to be made well. I mean, if he went to the pool each day and others went in front of him that is frustrating but really,  EVERY time the waters would stir he couldn't get in?
This is what I mean that we have to DECIDE to be new. Things don't change because we will them too. God is working.  God has the power of miracles. But just like the lame man, we have to DECIDE we are going to the pool, jumping in, and being made new by the waters of new life in Christ. 

I have DECIDED to  shed some pounds.  Maybe Elvis would still be here had he done that, who knows? But I am jumping in head first to be cleansed.  You?

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.
 
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.
 
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back.

1 comment:

  1. Goodbye and good riddance, fat Elvis! Hello, lean and healthy Tommy!

    ReplyDelete